Kid Care Teeth Health.PS 316 (17K316) Elijah Stroud
Virtual College Awareness Day on Monday, May 17th and Virtual Career Day on Tuesday, May 18th from 8:50AM to 1:00PMPS 316 (17K316) Elijah Stroud
Good Morning PS 316 Families,
Here are some updates and important information.
- Last Opt - In Period For Blended Learning
- Option To Opt - In For State Tests - 3rd, 4th, 5th Grades
- Register For Gifted And Talented Program
- NYC DOE Update For Families Letter
LAST OPT-IN PERIOD FOR BLENDED LEARNING
Deadline to Register is Today (Friday, April 9)
If you would like to have your child switch to blended learning for the rest of the year, you MUST FILL OUT the official DOE form at https://www.nycenet.edu/surveys/learningpreference
- All children choosing to switch to blended learning must agree to in-school covid testing. Families will need to fill in the Consent to Testing Form found in their child's NYC School Account at https://www.schools.nyc.gov/learning/student-journey/nyc-schools-account
- School hours are 8:30 am to 2pm. There is no early morning drop off.
- Children are required to wear masks and sanitize and follow all safety procedures entering and leaving the building.
- The DOE has not yet set the date students will return to in-person learning.
- The CDC has indicated that children may sit at desks 3ft apart while following other safety measures. The DOE will be following this recommendation although details have not been officially released.
This will be the LAST opportunity to opt-in to blended learning this year.
OPT-IN TO STATE TESTS - 3rd, 4th & 5th Grades Only
Deadline to Register is Monday April 12
New York State Education Department (NYSED) has required that state exams for the school year 2020-2021 will take place in-person in the school building. Tests will not be administered remotely online. The Grades 3–5 English Language Arts (ELA), Mathematics, and Grade 4 Science exam will be administered in our school building.
It is important for you to let us know if you would like your child to participate in this year’s state exams. This applies to ALL students, regardless of whether they are Fully Remote, Blended, or In-Person, so that we can prepare and create a testing schedule that ensures the health and safety of all of our students, maintaining social distancing.
If you do wish to have your child to participate in this year’s State exams, please notify us by completing the Google Form using the link below by Monday, April 12, 2021. If you do not wish to have your child take the test, you do not have to take any further action. If we do not hear back from you by April 12th, your child will not participate in state testing. Whether a student takes the test or not, there will be no negative impact on the student, including decisions regarding student promotion or report card grades.
Google Form Link: https://forms.gle/dtMwEnkiHhDeUDfT6
The exams will be administered within the following dates:
- English Language Arts April 20-21, 2021
- Mathematics May 3–14, 2021
- Science for grade 4 June 7–11, 2021
ELA test dates are:
- Tuesday, April 20 for Cohort A (Gold)
- Wednesday, April 21 for Cohort B (Blue)
This year, the ELA and Math exams for grades 3 through 5 have been reduced to multiple choice only, and will be given on one day. The tests are untimed, but most students will complete the tests in 55 to 90 minutes. More information can be found here: https://www.schools.nyc.gov/learning/testing/student-participation-guide
REGISTER FOR THE GIFTED & TALENTED PROGRAM
Deadline to Register is Today (Friday, April 9)
The application for kindergarten Gifted & Talented (G&T) programs is now open, and the deadline to apply is April 9. Interested families with children born in 2016 can apply one of three ways:
- Online at MySchools.nyc
- Through a Family Welcome Center—visit schools.nyc.gov/fwc to learn more.
PS 316 (17K316) Elijah Stroud
- By phone at 718-935-2009—you can also call us with any questions.
April Music Performance
Please check out our students in their monthly performances. Thanks Mr. Mister.PS 316 (17K316) Elijah Stroud
UPDATE from DOE
Please see attached.PS 316 (17K316) Elijah Stroud
Virtual College Awareness Day on Monday, May 17th and Virtual Career Day on Tuesday, May 18th from 8:50AM to 1:00PM
P.S. 316 will be having Virtual College Awareness Day on Monday, May 17th and Virtual Career Day on Tuesday, May 18th from 8:50AM to 1:00PM via Zoom. The children will have multiple opportunities to learn about what college is and highlighting the different aspects of what it means to attend college. During Career Day, they will speak with community professionals and participate a “question and answer” section.
These awesome educational opportunities are only a small piece of the critical work that goes into supplying them with a culture of self-empowerment and a positive attitude. As a school, we are committed to exposing students to the world of work and career awareness by introducing them to careers they may have never even heard of.
The purpose of this annual event is to motivate students by working closely with the community to help improve their educational outcome. In listening to strong, diverse and established voices from the community, we aim to spread the message to our students that “Yes, you CAN achieve!”
If you have any questions or would like to volunteer at Career Day, please feel free to contact me 😊
Ms. Burcin Yoruk, MS. Ed
P.S. 316 - School of Excellence for All Students
750 Classon Avenue
Brooklyn, NY 11238
Google Voice – 862-801-5184PS 316 (17K316) Elijah Stroud
February Music Performance
Our new music teacher, Mr. Mister, compiled a performance piece with our students for February. Check it out below!PS 316 (17K316) Elijah Stroud
Update on 2021 NYS ELA, Math, and Science Tests
March 22, 2021
Dear P.S. 316 School Community,
We recently received a memo from the NY State Department of Education (NYSED) with information that we would like to share.
The memo states:
On February 12, 2021, NYSED submitted a formal request to the US Dept. of Education to waive state testing requirements at the elementary, middle, and high school levels. Pending a decision from the US Dept. of Education regarding NYSED’s waiver request, we are sharing the following information as a means to prepare to proceed with the Spring 2021 test administrations.
A number of significant changes have been made to the usual testing procedures.
If the waiver is not granted to NYS for Spring 2021, and we are required to administer the test, schools will be required to administer only Session 1/Day1 (multiple choice only).
Session 1 tests have been shortened by the removal of embedded multiple choice field-test questions.
The testing windows for ELA and Math have been lengthened to 9 school-days each. This allows schools flexibility in scheduling.
ELA: April 19-29 Math: May 3-14
Our school-specific dates and schedules have yet to be determined.
If the test is administered, it will only be administered in-person at the school (not remotely).
Fully-remote students will be provided the option to participate in the test, but not required to do so. Their parents will be able to indicate whether they choose to have their child participate (at school).
Students with testing accommodations will receive all accommodations specified on their IEP or 504 plan.
The NYSED memo and schedule can be found on the NYSED website:
The testing window for the 4th grade Science test is June 7-9. Only the Written portion of the test will be administered. There will not be a Performance/Lab portion this year. Again, this will be administered only in-person at the school.
More information will follow.
Actualización sobre las pruebas de ELA, Matemáticas y Ciencias del estado de NY de 2021
18 de marzo de 2021
Estimado P.S. 316 comunidad escolar,
Recientemente recibimos un memorando del Departamento de Educación del Estado de Nueva York (NYSED) con información que nos gustaría compartir.
El memo dice:
El 12 de febrero de 2021, NYSED presentó una solicitud formal al Departamento de Educación de los EE. UU. Para eximir los requisitos de las pruebas estatales en los niveles de escuela primaria, intermedia y secundaria. En espera de una decisión del Departamento de Educación de EE. UU. Con respecto a la solicitud de exención del NYSED, compartimos la siguiente información como un medio para prepararnos para proceder con las administraciones de la prueba de primavera de 2021.
Se han realizado varios cambios importantes en los procedimientos de prueba habituales.
• Si la exención no se otorga al Estado de Nueva York para la primavera de 2021, y se nos exige que administremos el examen, las escuelas deberán administrar solo la Sesión 1/Día 1 (solo opción múltiple).
• Las pruebas de la sesión 1 se han acortado al eliminar las preguntas integradas de prueba de campo de opción múltiple.
• Los períodos de prueba para ELA y Matemáticas se han extendido a 9 días escolares cada uno. Esto permite a las escuelas flexibilidad en la programación.
ELA: 19-29 de abril Matemáticas: 3-14 de mayo
Nuestras fechas y horarios específicos de la escuela aún no se han determinado.
• Si se administra la prueba, solo se administrará en persona en la escuela (no de forma remota).
• A los estudiantes completamente remotos se les brindará la opción de participar en la prueba, pero no se les exigirá que lo hagan. Sus padres podrán indicar si eligen que su hijo participe (en la escuela).
• Los estudiantes con adaptaciones para las pruebas recibirán todas las adaptaciones especificadas en su IEP o plan 504.
• El memorando y el calendario del NYSED se pueden encontrar en el sitio web del NYSED:
• La ventana de evaluación para la prueba de Ciencias de 4º grado es del 7 al 9 de junio. Solo se administrará la parte escrita de la prueba. No habrá una porción de Performance/Lab este año. Nuevamente, esto se administrará solo en persona en la escuela.
• Seguirá más información.PS 316 (17K316) Elijah Stroud
Home & School connectionPS 316 (17K316) Elijah Stroud
Letter to families March 22, 2021PS 316 (17K316) Elijah Stroud